The Welcoming Congregation Program
The Welcoming Congregation Program is a volunteer program for Unitarian Universalist congregations that want to take intentional steps to become more welcoming and inclusive of people with marginalized sexual orientations and gender identities.
First launched in 1990, the program grew out of an understanding that widespread prejudices and ignorance about lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) people existed within Unitarian Universalism, which resulted in the exclusion of LGBTQ people from our congregations.
Today, 66% of U.S. Unitarian Universalist (UU) congregations and 94% of Canadian UU congregations are recognized as Welcoming Congregations. The program is supported by LGBTQ Ministries.
- How to Run a Welcoming Congregation Program
- Guidelines and Action Steps for Welcoming Congregations
- Apply for Recognition as a Welcoming Congregation
- Do a Welcoming Congregation Refresher Program
- Living the Welcoming Congregation Curriculum
- Deepening Your Welcome Even Further
- Apply for Renewal of Welcoming Congregation Status
- Subscribe to the Welcoming Congregation Bulletin
- Guidance for Small Congregations
- History of the Program
- Why Focus Our Welcome on LGBTQ People?
- Identity-Specific Resources from LGBTQ Ministries
- Welcoming Language for Bylaws, Worship, and Websites
- Inclusive Language Guidance
- Welcoming Congregational Stories
- Print Resources from LGBTQ Ministries
- Find Welcoming Congregations Near You
- UU History & Facts About LGBTQ Issues
- Outreach & Public Witness for LGBTQ Rights
Regardless of where your congregation is on its journey, you can find new ways to broaden and deepen your welcome!
For more information contact lgbtq @ uua.org.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Friday, March 8, 2013.
- History & Facts
- Outreach & Public Witness
- Welcoming Congregations
- Find a Congregation or a Minister
- Welcoming Congregation Bulletin
- Print Resources
- Ways to Welcome
- Welcoming Congregation Program
- Identity 101
- Books & Videos
- Programs & Partners
- GA Presentations
- Congregational Stories