Beyond the Unitarian Universalist Association: Safety Resources for Congregations
Keep in mind that developing policies, educating the entire church community, and learning as much as you can about the issues of safety, although essential, do not guarantee an entirely safe and trouble-free environment. Congregations must make the commitment to be continually diligent and to follow their process should incidents of misconduct or abuse be suspected or reported. Here are some resources that may help as you commence the work of creating a congregation that is safe:
- Church Mutual Insurance Company Safety Resources—offering an array of free videos, booklets, posters, newsletters, and other safety information.
- FaithTrust Institute is an international, multifaith organization working to end sexual and domestic violence.
- New England Adolescent Research Institute provides programming and resources for highly at-risk children and youth and the professional who with them.
- Stop It Now! Stop It Now! prevents the sexual abuse of children by mobilizing adults, families and communities to take actions that protect children before they are harmed.
- Religious Institute—Faithful Voices on Sexuality and Religion.
For a more extensive list, go to the resource pages of Balancing Acts.
For more information contact safecongregations @ uua.org.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Monday, April 29, 2013.
- Keeping Children Safe
- Professional Misconduct
- Safe Congregation Handbook
- Responsible Staffing
- Crisis Planning
- Trauma Response
- Building Security
- Conflict Management
- Covenant of Right Relations
- Ethics in Congregational Life Program
- Sexually Healthy Faith Communities
- Disruptive Behavior Policies
- Resources and Reports
- Beyond the UUA
- Closing Words