Building the World We Dream About: For Young AdultsA Tapestry of Faith Program for Adults
Young Adults, 18-35
Building the World We Dream About for Young Adults is specifically tailored to the experiences of young adults whose life situations and congregational involvement are somewhat fluid. The program, while largely derived from the materials, activities, process, and vision of the original program, takes into account the generational experiences of young adults, both cultural and technological, and includes new material which represents the voices and experiences of young adult Unitarian Universalists . This version does not assume that participants are part of the same congregation, or indeed, any congregation. Building the World We Dream About for Young Adults offers a process by which young adults can engage in honest and open conversations about race, better understand their own ethnic and racial identity and journey, and learn the practical skills they need to in their own lives right now as they make their way in an increasingly multicultural world.
Congregations and groups considering this program are encouraged to check out the support resources from the Multicultural Growth and Witness staff group, which offers tailored support for program facilitators and congregational/group leaders. The original congregational Building the World We Dream About is also available online.
Table of Contents
- About the Authors
- Workshop 1: Telling Our Story: Multiple Truths and Multiple Realities
- Workshop 2: You Are How You've Lived: Exploring Individual and Group Identity
- Workshop 3: Dominant Culture and Identity
- Workshop 4: Whiteness and Privilege
- Workshop 5: Voices and Perspectives
- Workshop 6: Building Multicultural Competence as Personal and Spiritual Practice
- Workshop 7: Resistance
- Workshop 8: Commitments
- List of Stories
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources
Downloading the Document
You can download this program, save it on your computer, edit it, and print it. Or, you can download individual sessions or workshops.
- Download the entire program: Regular Version or Paper-Saving Version. Save the file with a name ending with ".doc", readable by most word processors. In Word, add page numbers by choosing Insert > Page Numbers. Narrow the margins by choosing File > Page Setup (try 0.75 inch margins on all sides).
- Instructions for Downloading the Program
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about downloading and printing
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Friday, April 19, 2013.
- Call for Authors
- Field Test FAQ
- Alphabetical List
- Children's Programs
- Youth Programs
- Adult Programs
- Resistance and Transformation
- Faith like a River
- Building the World We Dream About
- The New UU
- Moves Us
- Harvest the Power
- Principled Commitment
- Spirit of Life Revised
- Spirit in Practice
- From The High Hill
- Multigenerational Programs
- List of Stories from All Programs
- About Tapestry of Faith