Stewardship Sermon Award Recipients
2012 Award Recipient
The Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) Stewardship and Development staff was pleased to announce that The Reverend James C. (Jay) Leach was the recipient of the 2012 Stewardship Sermon Award for "The Infinite Enlargement of the Heart," shared with the First Unitarian Church of Columbus (Ohio) on Sunday, February 5, 2012. Jay serves as Senior Minister at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Charlotte.
Jay skillfully weaves the values of interdependence, working for the common good and generosity into his sermon. He surges us to counteract the prevailing culture of individualism and intolerance by taking action of the common good in ways that are in integrity with our Unitarian Universalist (UU) theology and values. One of these ways is to be intentional in our stewardship and in our generous financial support of our congregations and our UU Faith. Jay reminds us that the question is not "What's in it for me?" IT should be "What isn't it for us?" After all, we are in this life and in this world together.
Rev. Jay Leach’s sermon "The Infinite Enlargement of the Heart" was deemed by the Stewardship Sermon Award Selection Committee as the submission most effective in exploring and promoting financial support of our Unitarian Universalist faith.
- 2011: "Fire of Commitment," (PDF, 8 pages) Rev. Vail Weller, Unitarian Universalists of San Mateo, CA
- 2010: "Poor and Rich, Rich and Poor," (PDF, 8 pages) Rev. Vail Weller, Unitarian Universalists of San Mateo, CA
- 2009: "The Answer I Wish I'd Given," Rev. Erika Hewitt, Live Oak Unitarian Universalist Congregation, Goleta, CA
- 2008: "Everything is Possible," Rev. Peter Friedrichs, Unitarian Universalist Church in Delaware County, Media, PA
- 2007: "Speaking With Your Money," Rev. Lynn M. Acquafondata, Unitarian Universalist Church of the South Hills, "Sunnyhill," Pittsburgh, PA
- 2006: "The Land of Enough," Cecilia Kingman Miller, District Special Consultant, Wy'east Unitarian Universalist Congregation, Portland, OR
- 2005: "Stand By This Faith," Naomi King, Ministerial Intern, Horizon Unitarian Universalist Church, Carrollton, TX
- 2004: "Wanting, Getting and Giving," Bonnie McClish Dlott, Student at Starr King School for the Ministry; Member of Mt. Diablo Unitarian Universalist Church Walnut Creek, CA
- 2003: "The Shoemaker's Window," Rev. Dr. Patrick T. O’Neill, First Unitarian Church, Wilmington, DE
- 2002: " Filthy Lucre or Golden Opportunity?" Dr. Gary Blaine, First Unitarian Church of Toledo, OH
- 2001: "All That's Past Is Prologue," The Rev. Victoria Safford, White Bear Unitarian Universalist Church of Mahtomedi, MN
- 2000: "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" The Rev. Gary Kowalski, The First Unitarian Universalist Society of Burlington, VT
- 1999: "Going It Alone," The Rev. David R. Weissbard, Unitarian Universalist Church of Rockford, IL
- 1998: "Learn to Fly," The Rev. Amanda L. Aikman, Evergreen Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Marysville, WA
For more information contact apf @ uua.org.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Friday, January 25, 2013.
- Friends of the UUA
- Give to a Special Fund
- Planned Gifts
- Annual Program Fund
- 30 Days of Love
- Umbrella Giving
- UU Funding Program
- Awards & Scholarships
- Katie Tyson Fund
- Freedom to Marry Fund
- Freedom to Marry Grant Guidelines
- Adin Ballou Award
- IARF/U.S. Award
- Distinguished Service Award
- Donna DiSciullo Young Adult and Campus Ministry Award
- Frederic G. Melcher Book Award
- O. Eugene Pickett Award
- President's Annual Award for Volunteer Service to the UUA
- Borden and Holton Sermon Awards
- Stewardship Sermon Award
- Unsung UU Youth Award
- Youth Advisor of the Year Award
- Annual Report
- Generosity News