The Green Sanctuary Program
Congregations and congregants working together to restore Earth and renew Spirit.
The newest version of the Green Sanctuary Manual (PDF, 121 pages) is now available online!
The Green Sanctuary Program, originally nurtured and managed by the Unitarian Universalist Ministry for Earth, was designed to give roots and wings to the vision that, together, we can create a world in which all people make reverence, gratitude, and care for the living Earth that is central to our lives.
Voluntary participation in the Green Sanctuary Program provides a framework for congregations and congregants to proclaim and live out their commitment to the Earth.
The Green Sanctuary Program...
- Provides the framework for congregations to begin specific projects and activities that lead to recognition as a Green Sanctuary through candidacy and then accreditation.
- Invites congregations to embark on an exploration of what it means to live today within a religious community on an imperiled Earth.
- Is a way for all Unitarian Universalists to join our efforts, both symbolically and explicitly, in becoming stewards of the Earth.
A Green Sanctuary is a Congregation that...
- Has received official recognition for completing the Green Sanctuary Program.
- Lives out its commitment to the Earth by creating sustainable lifestyles for its members as individuals and as a faith community.
- Is committed towards creating a religious community that has a fundamental, bottom-line, commitment to living in harmony with the Earth.
By reading the Green Sanctuary Manual and following the Green Sanctuary Program Process, any congregation can become a Green Sanctuary.
For more information contact uua_greensanctuary @ uua.org.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Wednesday, March 13, 2013.
- What is Environmental Justice
- Resources for Environmental Engagement
- Green Sanctuary
- Ethical Eating
- Climate Change
- Dependence on Fossil Fuels
- Access to Essential Resources
- Sustainable and Local Economy