Vocabulary in Google Analytics
Mouse over almost any term in Google's charts to see its definition, or refer to the context-specific help pages within each report in Google Analytics. Some of the more common terms are included here.
- “Visits” is the number of visits to your site. Each visit might include several pageviews.
- A “Page” in Google Analytics is a web address, or URL. You can also review data by “Page Title,” but while the former is guaranteed to be unique, the latter is not (if two pages share a title, their data will be combined).
- “Pageviews” is the total number of pages viewed. Repeated views of a single page are counted. “Unique Pageviews” is the number of visits during which the specified page or pages are viewed at least once.
- In a table of results, rows = “Dimensions” (like page or page title) and columns = “Metrics” (like pageviews or bounce rates).
- “Avg. Time on Page” is the average amount of time visitors spent viewing a specified page or set of pages. “Avg. Visit Duration” is the average time duration of a session.
- “Entrances” is the number of times visitors entered your site through a specified page or set of pages. The first page a visitor loads when they begin their visit to UUA.org is called a “Landing Page.”
- “Bounce Rate” is the percentage of single-page visits (i.e. visits in which the person left your site from the entrance page). “%Exit” is the percentage of site exits that occurred from a specified page or set of pages.
- A limited number of “Goals” can be set up (by the Web Team) to measure specific behaviors across the site. Currently, we measure the number of visits which include a view of the congregational search results page, a click on one of our “Donate” links, which last for more than 5 minutes, or view more than 5 pages. “Page Value” is ((Transaction Revenue + Total Goal Value) divided by unique pageviews for the page or set of pages)).
- “Total Unique Searches” is the number of times people searched your site. Duplicate searches within a single visit are excluded.
- “Results Pageviews/Search” is the average number of times visitors viewed a search results page after performing a search.
- “%Search Exits” is the percentage of searches that resulted in an immediate exit from your site.
- “% Search Refinements” is the percentage of searches that resulted in another search ( i.e. a new search using a different term).
- Along the bottom of the line chart, you may see some "chat bubbles" that, when clicked, will display any “Annotations” we've made to indicate major changes that might impact the data you see.
For more information contact analytics @ uua.org.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Wednesday, September 12, 2012.
- Chalice and UU Art
- Congregational Press Relations
- Civil Discourse
- GA Presentations
- UUA Monthly Bulletin