Hello, I'm Keith Kron, the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) Director of Transitions (formerly Ministerial Settlement). Transitions Administrator Margaret Montore and I provide counsel and resources to congregations facing or planning for changes in their professional ministry, including interim ministry to serve the congregation through the transition. We provide confidential information to search committees about prospective candidates and, through a Ministerial Settlement Representative in each district, offer counsel and direct support to ministerial search committees. We also advise ministers on career planning and on seeking parish positions.
Please be in touch with us if you find yourself in a transitional situation or foresee one in your future. We look forward to helping you.
Keith Kron and Margaret Montore share an email address: transitions @ uua.org. You can also call Keith at (617) 948-6409 or Margaret at (617) 948-6408. We also encourage you to contact the field staff in your district for consultation and assistance.
Using your needs as a guide, we have compiled this list of most frequently requested documents for each group: for congregational lay leaders and for ministers seeking parish positions.
Congregational Leaders and Ministers
These documents are essential reading for both lay leaders and for ministers.
- The Settlement Handbook (PDF, 53 pages)
The comprehensive guide to the process to call a minister for both congregations and ministers.
- Transitional Ministry Handbook (PDF, 45 pages) (Word)
The comprehensive guide for all transitional ministries. Includes sample contracts for both interim and consulting ministries. (Note - Updated April 2012 with corrected contract for interim ministries.)
- The Hire-to-Call Process (PDF, 8 pages)
Provides an outline for the process of hiring a second (or third, etc.) minister with the intent to call in the future. By Rev. Dr. Ian Evison.
- Joint Recommendations Concerning Ministerial Agreements (Word, 24 pages) (PDF, 21 pages)
Background information for all ministerial agreements and sample letters of call for settled ministries.
- Benefit Transition/Coverage Continuation Form (PDF, 4 pages)
Courtesy of the Office of Church Staff Finances.
- Year by Year in Settlement (PDF). Graphs and explanations for recent settlement trends.
Resources here are of particular use to lay leaders shepherding their congregation through the ministerial transition.
- Ministerial Search Committee Calendar (PDF) (XLS) for settlement target dates in Winter 2014 and beyond (Revised February 2013).
- The Resource Guide for Ministerial Search Committees
An essential supplement to The Settlement Handbook for congregations.
- Compensation Calculator (Word)
Assists in calculating the UUA-recommended cost of ministry for any ministerial position.
- Responsible Staffing (PDF, 14 pages)
Guide to and rationale behind the process of screening ministers. Also see President's Letter (PDF) and Responsible Staffing Forms (PDF). Companies that conduct criminal background checks:
- Guidelines for Part-time Ministry Searches (PDF)
A brief description of what the Transitions Office can offer to congregations seeking ministers for part-time (less than 3/4 time) positions.
- Watch The Interim Opportunity (Flash). Essential viewing for congregations at the beginning of their ministerial transition period.
These resources are useful for ministers in the midst of or considering a transition.
For more information contact transitions @ uua.org.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Tuesday, May 14, 2013.
- Job Openings
- Congregational Staff & Volunteers
- Benefit Plans & Compensation
- Becoming a Minister
- Support for Fellowshipped Ministers
- Interim Ministry
- Community Ministry
- Military Chaplaincy
- Minister Emeritus/ Emerita
- Ministerial Obituaries
- Small Congregations
- Large Congregations
- Music Leadership
- Religious Educators
- One and One E-News