3rd Principle: Acceptance of One Another and Encouragement to Spiritual Growth in Our Congregations
In other words, “We’re free to learn together.”
As Unitarian Universalists we affirm and promote 7 Principles and the sources of faith from which they are drawn. They represent the backbone of the religious community in which we participate.
Examples of the 3rd Principle in Action
- The Leap of Faith initiative establishes mentoring relationships between selected congregations to promote community growth and congregational development.
- Forward Through the Ages (FORTH) is a multi-year stewardship development program designed to support a congregation’s mission while deepening its commitment to a clear vision of the future.
Chalica is a week-long celebration of our Unitarian Universalist Principles. Each day, a chalice is lit and the day is spent reflecting on the meaning of that day’s principle and doing a good deed that honors that principle.
- The UU Congregation of Smithton offers an excellent selection of readings, songs, and discussion questions for each day of Chalica, and posted video of the same: Chalica Day Three (YouTube).
- The Tapestry of Faith children’s curriculum Love Surrounds Us explores all the Principles in the context of Beloved Community of family/home, school, neighborhood. Session 6 focuses on the third Principle, and allows children to learn and demonstrate acceptance and compassion to everyone through story, art, games, and meditation.
- Reflection on the UU Third Principle by Rev. Sunshine Jeremiah Wolfe
“At the heart of this principle for me is the value that community matters.”
Learn more about the Beliefs & Principles of Unitarian Universalism, or read our online magazine, UU World, for features on today's Unitarian Universalists. Visit an online UU church, or find a congregation near you.
For more information contact email@example.com.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Tuesday, January 29, 2013.
- Are My Beliefs Welcome?
- Flaming Chalice
- Worship & Congregational Life
- Ministries in Unitarian Universalism
- Further Reading
- Mobile App: Illuminations
- Ask a Question