Action Steps for Transforming Congregational Justice Ministry
- Congregation calls a minister committed to social justice.
- Church board and minister begin conversations around broadening social justice ministries and establishing a Social Justice Coordinating Committee.
- Leadership attends district trainings and holds a congregational retreat with the goal of developing a justice ministry deeply engaged in the community.
- Congregation holds a Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) Social Justice Empowerment Workshop to discern what they most cared about, to develop a collective vision, and decide who they wanted to work with and how.
- Based on conversations from these workshops, the congregation partners with organizations that share their values and vision, including a local Congregationally-Based Community Organization (CBCO), the Standing on the Side of Love campaign, the Unitarian Universalist (UU) Partner Church Council, and the Michigan UU Social Justice Network.
- Hosts an anti-racism training and multiculturalism workshop and uses UUA Examining Whiteness curriculum that allowed congregational members to work with greater sensitivity and awareness to issues of racism, oppression, privilege and diversity.
- Intentionally designs social justice ministries to include all ages, including children, youth and young adults.
- Nurtures and sustains ties with local community as well as with the larger Unitarian Universalist world.
- Applies for and receives grants from the UU Funding Program and other sources for training and partnerships. Supports their justice ministry and community organizations through Share the Plate collections.
- Recognizes individuals for their social justice leadership and celebrates the congregation’s achievements!
For more information contact socialjustice @ uua.org.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Wednesday, May 9, 2012.
- Legislative Advocacy
- A People So Bold: DVD Guide
- Congregational Resolution Guide
- Congregational Stories
- Effective Congregational Programs
- Funding & Awards
- GA Presentations
- Grassroots Organizing
- Public Witness
- Social Justice Empowerment
- Young Adult Spirituality & Service
- Real Rules